Monday, November 02, 2009

A special kind of meaning

In being on the jury, I felt like I was doing something that, in addition to completely absorbing my attention, would ultimately "make a difference." This is in frequent contrast to my county job.

Example: A homeless alcoholic man, classified as a dependent adult due to alcoholic dementia, fell into my ongoing caseload. He was hospitalized with maggots in his feet. After discharge he was prescribed whirlpool sessions to help his feet heal, so I was tasked with driving him to the physical therapy department of the local hospital. While I had no quarrel with this assignment - he's a pleasant enough guy - I had no illusions that my time and effort would result in any major change in his life. He's still a homeless drunk, but his feet are healing.

The polar opposite was true of the trial.

No comments: