Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Daily Slug Toss: Some instruction


1) Locate the banana slug and pick it off the front door/window/wall/azalea plant

2) Grasp the slug with two fingers, not too firmly because the slime doesn't come off easily, and not too lightly because that will mess up the trajectory

3) As you either curse or say a prayer of gratitude for the fact that you are a bleeding heart/a Bhuddist/a wannabe/have a weak stomach

3a) Hurl the banana slug as far into the ivy/grass/redwood sprouts as possible

4) As you wipe the inevitable deposit of slime off your thumb and finger on a least visible part of your clothing/wall/door mat

4a) Search out the next traveler

5) Repeat as necessary

4 comments:

Frank Hartzell said...

So what religion are the neighbors the slug lands on?
Just be happy you haven't had one slip out your hand and land on you!.

Ilana said...

We have had visits by a number of unusual beetles recently. They are not your oval shaped beetle but kind of delicate shield-shaped little bodies and long legs, almost like mayflies. In any case, I cup them in my hands and put them outside.

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

My range doesn't allow me to reach the neighbors' place!

> beetles -- I've had dozens of TINY beetles in the last month, about an 8th of an inch, black domed shell. I mostly find them in the bathroom, where the cat's litterbox is, so I'm not sure if she's bringing them in (or at least the first two!), but depending on my mood I flush them or grab them in tissue to take out... Weird sometimes, our relationships with fellow-creatures.