Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Spot the omitted paragraph

My first encounter with this client was her yelling at me over the phone because her caregiver had asked to be taken off her case. The second encounter was when she complained about the replacement's "attitude problem" when faced with cleaning up 8 weeks worth of cat hair and uncleaned litter boxes. The client sent a scathing evaluation of me ("send susan to intensive people-skills training") and suggested that I had ruined her relationship with her previous home helper. By the way, this client is not disabled or elderly -- she collects insurance money from an auto accident several years ago for people to wash her hair and vacuum her house. But you'd never know anything was wrong with her physically. In response to the evaluation my boss and I agreed I'd write a letter to try to salvage this account.

Can you find the paragraph I didn't include in the final letter?



Dear MV–

When H asked me to read the evaluation and letter you sent, I could feel your frustration coming off the page like heat waves. It was quite eye-opening and humbling for me to see the impression I made on you when I was a brand new supervisor.

I'd like to chop your body into little pieces and feed them to piranhas. I’d like to tie you up and roll you on your cat-hair-covered rugs for about half an hour. I’d like YOU to have to clean up someone else’s pet-shit and 8 weeks of accumulated fur and see if you could do it with a smile on your face. You won't even clean your own house. You are totally unreasonable, and every caregiver knows it. The fact that L could be nice to you was just evidence of how good a liar she was because she knew just as well as anyone how many caregivers you burned through just to keep that bogus insurance payment coming. And don’t blame me for ruining your relationship with C. I’m sure you were capable of doing that all by yourself. But because you are the client and no one backs me in this job, it is up to me to eat shit and come up smiling. Soooooo…..

While reading your evaluation was painful for me, I’m glad you wrote it, because it gives me a chance to try to correct my mistakes – a chance everyone would want, and which I hope you will give me.

I want to assure you that I have heard your concerns and will do anything I can to restore your relationship with our care agency. This includes attempting better communication (for example, I have passed on all your messages to C) and prompt return of your phone calls. I am willing to work with you on any problem that I am aware of (for example, if a caregiver is consistently late, I cannot address the problem unless I’m notified of it).

I’m very sorry we got off on the wrong foot, and I intend to do better in the future.

Sincerely,

No comments: